How to treat missing assignments as zero in the original Gradebook?

Jump to solution
a_rodomanchenko
Community Novice

Dear All,

hope you'll be able to help me. In the New Gradebook it's possible to automatically treat missing assignments as zero, however, I couldn't find a similar option in the original Gradebook. Is it possible there at all?

Thank you!

1 Solution
James
Community Champion

@a_rodomanchenko  

In the old gradebook, there is an option to treat missing assignments as zero. The emphasis is on the word treat. This does not actually cause their grades to be zero and led to confusion among faculty who thought it actually assigned zeros for missing assignments. The way to actually put zeros in for missing assignments in the old gradebook is to set the default grade and make it 0. Here is a lesson from the Canvas Instructor Guide that explains how: How do I set a default grade for an assignment? 

In the new gradebook, there is no option to treat missing assignments as zero. Again, the emphasis is on the word treat. There is a missing submission policy that allows you to automatically assign zeros (if you like) for missing submissions. As opposed to the old gradebook, this actually puts a zero into the gradebook for the student. It is not a hypothetical like it was with the old gradebook. Here is the lesson from the Canvas Instructor Guide that explains the process: How do I apply a Missing Submission policy in the New Gradebook? 

View solution in original post