Ideas needed for Revising an Online Course that's a little different...

franke
Community Contributor

Hi everyone!  If I could get some advice, I'm working to completely re-develop a relatively new set of courses within our college that is desperately seeking some help!

The courses are in a Positive Organizational Development (POD) program and the assessment and grading for the course is done through a progress-based approach that is different than most formal education programs.  Students are graded "behind the scenes" and the instructor keeps track of their grades along the way (not through Canvas) by using the following guidelines:

A – The student successfully completed all required course activities and made significant learning progress on all stated learning criteria for the course.

B – The student successfully completed all required course activities and made significant learning progress on most of the stated learning criteria for the course.

C - The student successfully completed all required course activities but did not make significant learning progress on most stated learning criteria for the course.

F – The student did not successfully complete all required course activities and/or did not make significant learning progress on the stated learning criteria for the course.

The main problem with the course from a student's perspective is that is is full of assignments that are non-submission and zero points, so as to let students know what they need to complete and by when.  For example:

1. Students have to complete a Learning Activity in the first week where they interview their partner.  This is shown as an assignment worth zero points and non-submission.
  2. Students have to then post to a Discussion the results of the interview and what they learned.  This is where they are assessed for their work (granted this is behind the scenes, and not in Canvas)

There are 4 modules and 4 assignments within each module where students are asked to complete the learning activity and then post in the discussion after they've completed it.  There is one instance where the students do have to submit a file and they are graded with a complete/incomplete score.  The instructor has voiced to me that he is frustrated with the course design and often feels like he has to go in circles just to assess the student's work.  It's not clear what assignments are to be submitted and what aren't and what are just there as placeholders for the student's "To-do" list or what are actual assignments that students have submitted to.

Can anyone help to suggest a better a smoother process for this kind of course?  I've never run into this kind of course before, so any advice would be helpful to assist my process!

I can share the course to the Canvas Commons if this is something people would be interested in.  Let me know!

Thanks for the help:)

-Emily

Labels (1)