Im a student and I generated an access token, Im having issues making requests to certain endpoints, I'm wondering how I can check what permissions I

Jump to solution
FlavioHerrera
Community Member

Im building an application that is making use of the canvas rest api tool with an access token I generated. Im able to get information like course assignments, quizzes, user information but Im not able to update it. Im wondering if there is a way to elevate my permissions.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
chriscas
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @FlavioHerrera,

API Access Tokens are tied to whatever permissions your user role has in Canvas.  The only things you'll be able to do with the API (in general) are things you could also do in the Canvas web UI.  You could ask your school/institution Canvas team if they'd be willing to set up a sandbox course and put you in as a teacher if you have a legitimate use case, but do not be surprised if they say no, due to all of the sensitive data that Canvas has.  Even granting teacher permissions in a sandbox course could have affects on how third-party integrated tools work in real courses, so many schools will be hesitant to give out that access.

Hope this helps a bit.

-Chris

View solution in original post