Import Grades to Mastery Gradebook

Jump to solution
MarkWalth
Community Member

Hello!

I am involved in teaching a large course (550 students) in which he have decided to use Mastery Based/Standards Based Grading to assess students. We have created the outcomes, enabled the Mastery Mastery Gradebook, etc.

The problem that we are facing is the following. Because we have so many students, we have found it convenient to grade assignments on Gradescope, an external grading tool. With the traditional gradebook, Gradescope can send all of the grades for an assignment to Canvas, where they will be loaded into the gradebook. However, it seems that Gradescope has no method for communicating with the Learning Mastery Gradebook. For example, I have an assignment that is assessing a single outcome. I have created the assignment and linked it to an Outcome in Canvas via an appropriate rubric. The assignment is then graded in Gradescope. Gradescope can successfully send grades over to Canvas, where the scores show up in the regular Gradebook. However, nothing appears in the Learning Mastery Gradebook under the associated Outcome.

My question then has a few parts:

1. The nicest solution would be if there was a way to just get the grades for the assignment from the regular gradebook to just appear in the Learning Mastery Gradebook. Is this possible?
  2. Short of this, it seems to me that the easiest thing to do would be to download all of the grade data from Gradescope, mess with the spreadsheet to associate different questions with different learning outcomes, and then import the resulting spreadsheet into Canvas's Mastery Gradebook. However I haven't been able to find any documentation on importing grades into the Mastery Gradebook. Is this possible, and if so can you please point me to the appropriate documentation?

Thank you for your time and help!

-Mark

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
bbennett2
Community Champion

I don't think there's any way to do a direct import because the Mastery Gradebook builds results off out RubricAssessment records that are stored for each outcome in the database. So, when you're grading in the SpeedGrader and score that rubric, a RubricAssessment is created linking that student's ID to a score and an outcome. All of that is compiled into the Learning Mastery view using the calculations you set up for your outcomes.

If you (or someone you work with) has some scripting ability, you could do this via the Canvas API. Personally, I rely on the canvasapi Python library from UCF to do work like this. In theory:

1. In your Gradescope report, make sure you have the following columns:
    • Course ID
    • Assignment ID
    • User ID
    • Rubric ID
  2. Use the API to create Rubric Assessment objects using data from the spreadsheet.

It's not a very pleasant experience, but it should be possible. If you already have all the data in CSV, you would loop over each record, looking for the Course ID, Assignment ID, User ID, and access the rubric to assess each criterion ID to then create the assessment object.

View solution in original post

0 Likes