Inbox - read/unread not functioning properly

Jump to solution
mcchauvi
Community Participant

I am reposting this issue because my initial post has been closed and marked solved.

This issue has not been solved and remains a big problem. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------

There has been a change in how "unread" applies to a message.

When an inbox message is clicked on, the button should change from blue to white, meaning it should be marked as "read". Then I can change or mark it "unread" if needed. 

This no longer happens since Spring 2022.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The solution offered Oct 5, 2022 is a work around that requires clicking and rechecking and clicking. This should not be the case. It is a simple function: when I click on an email, it is marked "read". If I want to change it back to "unread" I should be able to simply click the radio button. Blue is "unread" and clear is "read". 

It is very simple and it is the way the Inbox functioned previous to Spring 2022. 

When I click on a message, it remains marked "unread", the button remains blue. However if I refresh the page, the message is marked "read".  This method requires that I search for the email to mark it unread. It is an unnecessary step created by an upgrade to the Inbox. 

This is a problem because there are some messages that I need to immediately mark as "unread" but can no longer do this until after the page is refreshed and then I have to hunt for the message. 

The last upgrade created this problem. Spring 2022 semester the Inbox worked properly, now there is a problem with marking a "read" and "unread" with messages I have not responded to.

Please review and correct this issue. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

@mcchauvi ...

Thank you for the extra detail.  The "Daily Digest" email that you received is based on your own personal preferences/settings here in the Community.  The response that you received in that e-mail is from Ron, another Canvas Coach here in the Community.  We are both Coaches and fellow users of Canvas...not Instructure employees.

I completely understand the reasons you've detailed for wanting the Inbox fixed...or at least looked at by their engineers at Instructure.  There are two things I'd suggest:

• Reach out to Canvas Support.  This is different than posting your comments here in the Community.  My understanding is that the Support folks aren't posting replies in the Community too often because they are focused on helping those who call, e-mail, or chat for help.  How do I get help with Canvas as an instructor?
  • Submit an idea here in the Community to see if it gets any traction/support from other Canvas users.  You can do this in the Ideas and Themes space.  These are the Guides about how ideas work.

There are things I've wanted fixed right away, too.  But, I also understand that Instructure does have a budget (like most companies), and so sometimes we have to wait.  I don't know if anyone has already logged a ticket with Canvas Support, but that would be my first recommendation to you so that a technician can see exactly the issue you are experiencing.  If a similar issue has already been reported, you would be added to that ticket so that you would be updated if/when the issue has been fixed.

Hopefully this helps in some way.  I'd be curious to know what you hear from Canvas Support once you contact them.  Thanks!

View solution in original post