Indicating badges in Roll Call standard list view

Jump to solution
AdrianT
Community Member

In the Canvas Toll Call tool's standard Class List view, is there an ability to see that a student in the list has any badges assigned on that day?

It seems the only way to check if a student already has a badge is to click the "more" tab on each student in the list. It would be very handy to have some form of visual indication of the presence of assigned badges while viewing all students in the list at once. Maybe the Badges tab could change color, or have a parenthetic number associated with it (for number of badges, as in showing presence of notifications) for the student in question?

Usage case example: If I have already excused a student in advance for class on a particular day, I will have gone to that day in the roll call and assigned an "excused" badge to that student. Then, when the day of the class arrives and I take roll call attendance, I could avoid inadvertently marking the excused student as "absent". Without clicking "more" on the student's name, I would not know a badge already exists at that student for that day.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
3 Solutions
HeatherAhern
Community Team
Community Team

Hello @AdrianT 

This is a good question. Just to clarify, are you wanting to add badges on future dates mostly? In reference to your example, if you want to excuse a student for a future class, you can use the calendar in the upper right corner of the roll call to excuse someone from a future class. Then when you arrive on that day, you can see the badge next to their name. In this screenshot example, I was able to add a badge in advance and then go back to the day I was actually working on. I hope this is helpful! If you have any more questions, please feel free to reach back out!

View solution in original post

AdrianT
Community Member

Hello Heather, thanks for responding.

The process of marking a student for a future date is not the issue. The issue centers on using a badge to show the student is excused, while leaving the status set to "unmarked", per Canvas instructions. Whether viewing the class list on that day or ahead of that day, there is no indication in the class list view that the student in question has a badge assigned. From the one allowed viewing of the screenshot you provided, it looked like you used a Late status, rather than a badge.

An alternate solution would be for Canvas to provide "Excused" as an additional status to select, instead of only assigning a badge to "Unmarked" status.

My work-around will be to mark the student ahead of time as Late, so as to flag the presence of the Excused badge, and then change the status to Unmarked at the actual class on the day.

0 Likes
HeatherAhern
Community Team
Community Team

Hello @AdrianT ,

Thank you for the clarification and I better understand your specific need. You are correct in that we do not have a feature at this time that currently performs that task. I appreciate you sharing your work-around as it may help others in a similar situation. Your idea is valid and we are always looking to improve our program for users so I would encourage you to share your feedback on out ideas page.