Internal PDF Links (Bookmarks) Do Not Work in Canvas PDF Viewer

DavidPearson
Community Member

There seems to be an old thread about this, but the issue is still persistent.

I have some PDFs that I post on Canvas that are quite long (lecture notes that are in an almost textbook-like format, a "book" of homework problems I have written, and lab manuals). These all have a table of contents that has internal links, or bookmarks, to the various sections to make it easier for students to navigate. The idea is they can look at the table of contents, click on a chapter/section title and the viewer automatically scrolls to that location in the body of the document. However, the Canvas PDF viewer has never allowed these links to work.

The links do work in Adobe Acrobat Reader, Google Chrome's PDF viewer, Microsoft Edge's PDF viewer, and Okular, an open-source PDF viewer, so the problem is unique to Canvas and is likely a bug, though maybe Instructure considers it a "feature."

Has anyone ever been able to get bookmarks to work in a PDF on Canvas? Is there a way to report issues directly instead of just posting on the community forum? A Google search suggests there should be a "report a problem" link in the Canvas Help menu, but I only find links to the community forum or feature requests.

Labels (1)
0 Likes