Late grade policy needs a flat grade deduction such as 20% after the assignment due date

Jump to solution
bec25ka
Community Explorer

HI there Canvas Community,

Correct me if there is already a community guide, a solution or feature request. I didn't see one so let me proceed.

I have faculty that are looking for a flat grade deduction such as 20% after the assignment due date. Here is what they currently do:

---

Inquiry from our faculty: Currently I use the late grade policy but it doesn’t work quite how I would like, so I’m checking if it possible to configure the settings differently. What I would like to happen is a flat 20% grade reduction after the assignment deadline, not a deduction that increases over time. What I currently use is a 20% reduction/per day with 80% lowest grade threshold so that the reduction does not go beyond 20%. However, this means that the grade deduction does not affect assignments already lower than 80%. So if a student turns an assignment in late and also earns an 80%, the late penalty should still affect them so that they would get a 64% (20% off 80). Let me know if that is clear.

Is that possible to do in Canvas or does it not allow for that option?

---

Like I mentioned above, I didn't find a answer through searching in Canvas community, but again please let me know or guide me if there are some work arounds, or advise if this and other late policy options are coming to the Canvas Gradebook.

Thank you in advance for your time,

Katie

Labels (1)
1 Solution
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @bec25ka - Please consider creating an Idea! What are the guidelines for submitting a new idea? 

There is currently not a thread similar to what you described in the new Ideas & Themes process.

View solution in original post