Late penalty

Jump to solution
PedroDerosa
Community Explorer

Why can you only set a late penalty policy to the entire gradebook, as opposed to individual assignments or at least individual groups, forcing all assignments and type of assignments to have the same late penalty.  I asked a rep via chat and they told me that they setup up Canvas this way because, in general, Universities set late policies for the entire campus and do not allow instructors to override. This is the first time I heard something like that, it makes no sense to me. But even if that was the case, there is no reason for which a homework, a quiz, a project, a take home test, etc will all have to have the same late policy.  So, how can we ask Canvas to look into this and consider allowing more flexibility in assigning late penalties? 

3 Solutions
VPundir
Community Coach
Community Coach

Yes, the most common use case is to have a late submission penalty policy, which defines the penalty across the school, or department. In any case, within a course, usually idiosyncratic late penalties would not be expected.

That said, you can suggest your requirement as a feature idea to the Instructure team here.

View solution in original post

Understood. I hope you also understand that this creates a "policy jungle" for the students - a complex scenario in which they need to keep track of and understand numerous late submission penalty policies.

Next, hope you are aware that Canvas permits you to create graded assignments that do not contribute to the overall/final grade.

> If there is a default policy with the option to change for individual courses or individual groups, that will work for those with uniform policies and those that do not have that. So why not?

Because resources are limited and therefore there are opportunity costs for any feature development. In other words, the development of features that address small edge cases usually comes at the cost of development of features that may be more useful or more widely useful.

That said, my above comment is a generic response to "why not", not based on an assessment of the broad-based (or not)-ness of the need for your requested feature. I am glad you managed to post the feature request in Ideas, and hope that if there is enough demand for it then Instructure picks it up and implements it.

0 Likes

@PedroDerosa ...

The first time I clicked on the link you sent me, the link to post ideas was not active (something wrong with my computer), so I thought it was just a title, when I tried again, it was active and was able to make the post. 

Most likely nothing wrong with your computer.  Are you new to the Canvas Community website?  I looked at your profile, and it looks like you joined on December 1, 2023.  Your current rank is "Community Member", but that's not the same rank you start out with.  In order to "level up" or "rank up", you have to do certain things here in the Community.  When you "rank up", that will give you additional capabilities...including creating new ideas here in the Community.  Here's a Guide with descriptions of the ranking system:

How do I rank up in the Instructure Community?

I hope this will be of some help to you!