Link to a newly composed message

Jump to solution
JonMusselwhite
Community Explorer

The syllabus would be a perfect place to put a link to contact the professor, but I'm having trouble finding a way to do it that keeps the communication inside Canvas.

It's easy enough to insert a mailto link so students can click it to automatically open their email client and send an email, but that doesn't work well for students using library computers.

I could include instructions for how to click over to the Inbox, click the little pencil-with-a-box icon, select the course, then select the instructor, but those are a lot of steps for something so fundamental. Is it possible to link directly to a newly composed message?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

There is no question of the students' intelligence. They are capable of figuring it out, but I want to reduce barriers students face when needing help. Actions speak louder than words, and optimizing the process for students is one way of making it clear that you want to be contacted for help. For an online class, I prefer to use intuitive design while simplifying life as much as possible by keeping everything within Canvas. Linking a method of contacting the professor at the location in the syllabus that describes how to contact the professor is intuitive. That is all.

View solution in original post