Making Questions Required on a Quiz

Jump to solution
FLesoway
Community Member

In Canvas Quizzes, is there a way to require the student to answer all or specific questions before they submit the quiz?

For example, I want to prevent a student from just guessing on all the Multiple Choice and then skipping the Written Response and hitting submit. 

I know they are notified that they left questions unanswered, but I want them to get notified that they must answer those questions before submitting. And I don't want them to be able to submit them blank. This is creating a lot of extra work and challenging conversations with parents demanding their child be allowed to take the quiz again. My admin's solution is to have all questions required so we can avoid these situations, but I can't find a feature that allows me to do this. The only other solution I can think of is using a different program/tool for assessments, which defeats the point of using Canvas... 

2 Solutions
Hildi_Pardo
Community Coach
Community Coach

I don't think there is a way to make it so they cannot submit unless they complete all the questions.

And even if there was, people find creative solutions, and they might type anything (XYZ, for example) in the written response section and submit it.  So you would end up not having a proper response anyways.

It doesn't seem like a Canvas issue, though, but a larger conversation.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
gnoack
Community Champion

Hi @FLesoway 

I don't believe it is possible to require students to answer particular questions. Even if required, you can't stop them from guessing and could enter nonsense answers to essay questions. 

As a former teacher, I feel your pain. I think the best solution is to have a firm policy on this, explain it to students and  post it at the beginning of each quiz, communicate it to parents, and ask your administration to support you. 

View solution in original post