Manual Grade Posting Policy

Jump to solution
SMCK
Community Member

I may have missed an answer to this in one of the many posts relating to grade posting policies.  Forgive me if that is the case.

If a manual grade posting policy is used on a course, is any record kept in Canvas of the actual date that the grades were posted for specific assignments?  For example, if several weeks/months after grades were posted for a specific assignment, staff have to deal with a student appeal and need to be able to confirm the actual date of posting, is there any way of confirming the post date (and not relying on the memory of staff or any notes they may have written).  Does it show anywhere within the course for either students or teachers to see?  Or is there any admin report that can be run?

Any help would be welcomed.

Steve Mckinnell

Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Solutions
ProfessorBeyrer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Thank you @SMCK for the question. Even if you think you missed the answer, there are likely others who didn't realize they would need an answer to your question!

Yes, you can view the time and grader for each change by visiting the gradebook history. There is a Canvas Guides document with the details:  How do I view the history of all grading changes i... - Instructure Community

View solution in original post

Hi Steve,

That's an excellent question. I did some testing and it looks the time the grades were posted is not recorded. The embedded silent video shows an assignment with two graders making comments and changing the score, then one of the two makes a comment (but does not change the score) and posts the grade. It then shows the gradebook history, which shows when the score changes occurred but not the third comment nor posting the grade. Finally, it shows how the student sees all three comments with times but can only view the final score and the most recent use of the rubric.

From my testing it looks like the time grades are manually posted is not recorded. That sounds like an excellent idea to improve the Grades tool, and I encourage you to create one in the Idea Conversations - Instructure Community  area.

Greg

View solution in original post