Mark assignments that need grading in exported grade book

Jump to solution
antenangelil
Community Explorer

Hello, 

When my university used Blackboard, I could export the grade book (for offline grading) and it would mark assignments that students had completed but that I had not yet graded as "Needs Grading" in the CSV file. This made it easy to do things like assess completion rates, run a "Replace All" to add multiple grades at once, and so on. I don't see this in Canvas. When I look at the grade book in Canvas, there is an icon indicating something that was submitted but not yet graded, but when I export the gradebook, those fields are just blank in the CSV file, making it impossible to differentiate between assignments that have not been submitted versus assignments that were submitted and not graded. 

How can I can get the exported version of the gradebook to mark the fields (i.e., the student-assignment cells) that are submitted but not yet graded? Alternatively, if this is not an option, how do I "batch replace" those particular cells with a number grade (rather than doing it one-by-one)? 

1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @antenangelil ...

While I don't think I have a complete answer for you, what you described from Blackboard does sound interesting when exporting gradebook data.  For your first question, I don't think this is possible in Canvas.  What I would recommend to you, if you would like to do this, is to submit this as an Idea here in the Canvas Community to the Ideas and Themes area of the site.  That way, it can possibly have an opportunity to be voted on (voting is open two times a year), and you can participate in that process.  I'd encourage you to look through the following documentation on how the voting process works and how to create a new Idea:

Instructure Community Guide - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com)

Check out the links under "Ideas and Themes".

Again, I know this isn't a complete answer for you, but I hope the above info will be helpful in some way.

View solution in original post