Merge Classes?

Jump to solution
CARRILLOF
Community Member

I had 5 merged courses into 1 spanish course.

I gained one class from TEACHER A (Zavala) and they gave one of my classes to TEACHER B.   

Zavala's class that I gained now appears on my canvas dashboard. When I attempt to merge Zavala's class into my Spanish 1 course, his other classes merge into mine.

• How can I merger that one course from Zavala into my course without getting all his courses?
  • Is there a way to create a new Canvas course for the new students I got from Zavala and merge that into mine?
  • How does TEACHER B stop having access to my Spanish 1 courses?
0 Likes
1 Solution
melodyc_lam
Community Coach
Community Coach

@CARRILLOF Welcome!

Based on your description, I think the situation really depends on how your sections are set up. (I could also be dead wrong; if so, let me know how your classes are set up exactly.)

Sections are a way of grouping students, and are usually populated from a Student Information System. Hopefully they're set up so that the class you gained from TEACHER A can be put into your course through the crosslisting function without getting the rest of TEACHER A's students. I'm also assuming that you have 1 class (Spanish) that contains ALL your periods/classes/etc, so each section corresponds to a period (1st period, 2nd period, etc.)

So, here's how it should work - for clarity, let's assume that they only have 2 sections each.:

Teacher A has these sections:

• Teacher A section 1 (this one now belongs to you, TEACHER C)
  • Teacher A section 2 (this one still belongs to TEACHER A)

You (TEACHER C) has these sections

• Teacher C section 1 (this now belongs to TEACHER B)
  • Teacher C section 2(this one still belongs to TEACHER C, you)

TEACHER B has a course. We don't care about TEACHER B's sections for this situation.

(If you don't have sections, make sections manually if your institution allows for this functionality.)

So basically, you'll need to do the following:

1) Make sure that each teacher is only assigned to the sections that they are assigned to. Normally, when enrollments happen, a teacher is assigned ALL sections of a course, which works normally but not in this case where there's been a teacher/class swap. You can remove sections from an enrollment using these instructions.

2) Cross list the section Teacher A section 1 into your TEACHER C course. If you did step 1 right, TEACHER A won't come along in the crosslist.

3) Cross list the Teacher C section 1 into TEACHER B's course. This may require assistance from your Canvas Admin. If you did step 1 right, then TEACHER B will leave your course and go into the correct course that belongs to them.

To answer the 2nd question -- yes, you can, but if your institution does anything with a Student Information System (that's your gradebook/student enrollments) then please DO NOT attempt to enroll students that way. For one, it won't update when your enrollments update and two, it can cause a lot of issues down the line. It's better to cross list instead.

I would also advise that you contact your Canvas Admin (if that's not you) and have them test this out in the BETA environment to make sure everything comes along nicely.

Good luck!

View solution in original post