Module open and closed dates

Jump to solution
BrandieThompson
Community Member

I prefer to only have one module open at a time.  How do you set open and closed dates for a module and all of its contents?  I'd like to set it so that when a module opens, the previous one closes and this goes on for the duration of the course.  I only see a Lock Until feature, but not one to lock on a certain date.  

0 Likes
2 Solutions
Hildi_Pardo
Community Coach
Community Coach

There isn't a way to do this in Canvas (currently).    You can certainly submit this as an Idea to Canvas.

For me:  I like students to have access to past modules as it allows them to review past content.

One way to manage helping direct students to the current module only is to create a Home Page and on that page you could have a link to the current Module.  

View solution in original post

paul_fynn
Community Coach
Community Coach

@BrandieThompson  You can set module blocks to open at specific dates and times and you can also set them to require previous content to be viewed, submitted or graded before students can access them. This is also available at page level etc. This is in the three dot edit settings to the right of the module block.

I am not aware of any comparable feature to close modules, and I'm not really clear why you would want to do that - our accessibility requirements mean that students require access to content 48 hours in advance; I wouldn't see closing a module block as reasonable given that

i) they will require access to content for later assessments/reassessments

ii) in some courses students may revise for end of award exams up to four years later (for medical programs). Note that you cannot unpublish an assignment that has already been submitted to.

ii) the student can download the content for later use anyway ....

Whilst we have isolated uses of prerequisites and requirements, generally they act as a barrier to engagement by students who we struggle to engage anyway, so we've backtracked on our own use of these.

View solution in original post

0 Likes