Move Item Failed Cannot read properties of undefined (reading 'append')

Jump to solution
dawsojm
Community Member

I am getting this message when I try and drop pages, assignments, etc in a module I have created.  How do I create a module so I can input my materials for the course? 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
ColtonSwapp
Instructure
Instructure

Hello @dawsojm 

Thanks for posting this in the global Canvas Community. 

That is an odd error message you are seeing when trying to move content around in your modules. I apologize for the confusion this might be causing for you. It doesn't sound like it is related to anything you are doing to move content into your newly created modules. Have you reached out to Canvas support yet to have them take a look at this? They might be aware of this and already be working on a fix. If you have a screenshot or screen share recording displaying the error, they could try and replicate the behavior and dig into this a bit deeper. 

Troubleshooting: 

• After you create the new module and before moving content into the module, does refreshing the modules page in your browser make any difference? I know this might sounds weird but IIRC, an error stating reading 'append' usually indicates that that the item(in this case, the newly created Module) is in an undefined state and content you have tried to move can't tell where it is supposed to be moved. In some cases, refreshing the module page in your browser will sometimes alleviate this error. 
  • Does clearing your browser cache make any difference? It could possibly be related to browser cache or your browser session. Here are the Canvas guides for clearing cache and cookies on MAC and PC. 

Hopefully this helps! 

-Colton 

View solution in original post

0 Likes