Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarkS2

Multiple part Turnitin assignments

Jump to solution

Hello,

I am an ESL writing instructor and it is absolutely necessary that I have:

1. Turnitin plagiarism detection of all writing

2. The opportunity for students to submit multiple drafts for an assignment. 

Some students submit more drafts than others. It would be messy (and annoying) to have to create a new Turnitin assignment every time a student needs to submit another draft prior to a "final" one.

Blackboard's Turnitin integration had a helpful feature where one assignment had "multiple parts." I was using the assignment parts as drafts (see attached). Submitting more than one draft was optional, but some students needed the extra feedback and support.

I don't see this functionality in Canvas' integration with Turnitin. 

It is a game-changer for me and it may force me to go back to Blackboard if it's not available.

Am I missing something or is there a workaround?

Many thanks! 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
NicoletteStaley
Instructure
Instructure

@MarkS2 This might also be dependent on the way that TurnItIn (TII) is configured to work with Canvas at your institution.  There are numerous configurations, tools, and services provided by TII, so contacting them for additional support with this issue is most likely the best option.  You may also want to refer to the Partner Listing: Turnitin for some documention on using TII with Canvas.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Greetings @MarkS2 

It looks like some instructors may be leveraging the 'resubmit' feature of the assignment for the students that need additional draft reviews. Have you given that a try? 
Solved: TurnitIn/SimCheck "resubmit to Turnitin" - does make it sound like there can be some hurdles with the resubmission, and if that is the case it sounds like Maryna_Dibrova recommends submitting a ticket with Turnitin.  

Thanks for replying!

The main issue with resubmission is that it erases the feedback the student receives and there is no record of the draft (it’s written over, as I understand). Any suggestions on neatly offering students the opportunity to submit multiple versions of a Turnitin assignment? I’m happy to hear any creative solutions I’m not thinking of.

Mark

0 Kudos
chriscas
Community Champion

Hi @MarkS2,

If your school/institution has Assignment Enhancements enabled, students will be able to see all of their submission attempts.  The downside is that right now when Assignment Enhancements is enabled, students have to end up going to the grades page to see their turniitn score/report, instead of seeing it with the other assignment feedback.  I'm pretty sure I saw a post recently that said Instructure is going to be fixing that in the (hopefully) not too distant future.

-Chris

0 Kudos
NicoletteStaley
Instructure
Instructure

@MarkS2 This might also be dependent on the way that TurnItIn (TII) is configured to work with Canvas at your institution.  There are numerous configurations, tools, and services provided by TII, so contacting them for additional support with this issue is most likely the best option.  You may also want to refer to the Partner Listing: Turnitin for some documention on using TII with Canvas.

0 Kudos