New Analytics: Time in Course Instead of Page Views?

Jump to solution
TracyHarelson
Community Explorer

Is it possible to update the reporting to show time in course instead of page views? This is a need for many schools for state attendance reporting.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
chriscas
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @TracyHarelson,

I think that would need to be a feature request, though the feature request process is currently being redesigned and will hopefully reopen next month.

From my perspective as a higher-ed Canvas admin, the estimated time in course (on the people page), is wildly inaccurate in most cases and I'd almost prefer that it not even be shown at all.  I do understand there may be some requirements for this, though I think those requirements are usually drafted more for in-person and don't consider online education as much.  All a student has to do is leave a page on their computer open for a few hours, then come back and do some more things in Canvas, and the time will make it seem like they were doing fork for 3-4 hours when it may have been only 10 minutes.  I wish there was. abetter way to measure that stat to be more accurate, but I think that task is next to impossible...  Maybe the student was watching a video embedded on a page for 2 hours, or maybe they were playing minecraft on their phone.  Who knows!?  This is a one of the huge challenges for online education, in my opinion.

-Chris

View solution in original post