New Copy/Paste Functionality with Google Docs

Jump to solution
TrishaMeyer1
Community Contributor

I was really excited to see that the (delayed) copy/paste feature for images was now available, but when I tested it, I couldn't get it to work with Google Docs. I could copy from a web page or an MS Word file, but when I tried to copy from a Google Doc and then paste to the RCE, nothing happened. I don't otherwise have any issues copying from Google Docs and pasting elsewhere. I also have no trouble copying TEXT from a Google Doc to the RCE; it is only images that are giving me trouble.

Does anyone know if this is an expected behavior? Is it something specific to Google, or is it possibly an account setting at my institution? 

A bit more info: If I copy an image from a website to a Google Doc and then try to copy from the Google Doc to the Canvas RCE, it does not work. But I can copy the same image directly from the website to Canvas. So something is happening to the image file when it is placed in the Google Doc.

We have many teachers who have all their content on Google Docs and may not have the original source images anymore. Being able to copy directly from a Google Doc to the RCE would be ideal.

0 Likes
1 Solution
TrishaMeyer1
Community Contributor
Author

I learned today that images copied from Google Drive files copy only to the internal clipboard and not to the web clipboard. How did I not know this?! I guess it's the result of being "hidebound" in Google for so long. So items cannot copy/paste directly from a Google Doc to Canvas. (Text works, but not images.) I wasn't aware previously because Canvas required me to upload an image anyway. Now that Canvas has enabled Copy/Paste (and Drag/Drop) for images, I learned something new.

View solution in original post

0 Likes