Next button NOT appearing when using mastery paths

Jump to solution
aideen
Community Novice

I am using Mastery paths, where I have a short testout quiz and depending on the score, the learner can carry on through the module or must take a remedial page of training first. The problem is that when a new user first reaches the quiz and take is, they are given their score but no Next button to take them on to the correct next page. The only thing I can do at this point is retake the quiz or return to the Home page or Module list. If I do return to the Home page or to the Module list and navigate again to this quiz, my stored score is shown and the Next button now appears and points to the correct place.

My question is .... why does the Next button not show up the first time I take the quiz?

1 Solution
barbaracoen
Community Contributor

So with the help of our engineering team, and L2 support, we've worked out our issue and how to resolve it.

Essentially we had three families in our course, each with their own module, content and quizzes.  The idea was that the learner had to go through one of the families, but could go through all three if they wanted to.  Within each family we had a quiz - if they did well in the quiz they skipped some content if they didn't they were taken to an additional page of content (all using mastery paths).  Our complication was that we were using the same quiz in each of the three families.

The problem turned out to be that Canvas didn't know which module to return to after the quiz was submitted and therefore went nowhere and didn't show the next button.

Our only resolution was to create unique quizzes for each family. On the plus side this worked, on the negative side the learner has to take the quiz for each family, whereas we wanted them to be able to skip it if they'd passed it earlier.

Barbara

View solution in original post