No Notifications for New Course Content

Jump to solution
AngelaNoreck
Community Member

I have not been getting notifications when new assignments are created in my Canvas classes. I have the notifications for Course Content set on "Notify Immediately" at both the course and account levels. There is not a problem with my email address as I get daily and weekly notifications from all of my classes without any problem. This is an issue because it is causing me to miss assignments entirely, as I don't even know that they are there until the due date has passed. I would like to know what is causing this issue, and how to fix it, so I don't miss any more assignments.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Good afternoon, @AngelaNoreck ...

When you hover over the wording "Course Content" on your "Notifications" screen, you'll see that there are three areas of your course where that applies: Page content, Quiz content, and Assignment content.  From an instructor's point of view, when he/she makes changes to any of those types of content, there is a checkbox that your instructor can check at the bottom of those pages.  For example:

• Pages: "Notify users that this content has changed" 
  • Quizzes: "Notify users this quiz has changed"
  • Assignments: "Notify users that this content has changed"

So, if your instructor checks this box on any of those content page types, I believe you would get notification of that.  However, I just tried creating a brand new assignment in my own sandbox course and made sure that my e-mail notification was also set to immediately, and I did not get an e-mail right away like I had thought.  However, I did get notified via a push message from both my Canvas Teacher and Canvas Student apps on my iPhone that a new assignment had been created.  Do you have the Canvas Student app installed on your phone?  If not, you might want to give that a try as an alternative:

All this is to say that I believe your instructor would need to check that box on those pages to have notifications sent out when course content like Pages, Quizzes, and Assignments are created/edited.  You might need to have a discussion with your instructor about this to see what he/she has to say.  You can contact your instructor directly in Canvas by checking out this Guide:

How do I get help with Canvas as a student?

I hope this information will be of some help to you!  Sing out if you have any other questions about this...thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Likes