cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MirandaTucker

No option to Import PowerSchool categories

I can't sync my grades because the option to import assignment groups id no longer available. It only says "Sync SIS categories" and when that option is selected the drop-down menus for the SIS category selections are empty. They all say "Unassociated" I have no idea how to associate my categories and I'm having trouble finding any info online. Screenshots are included below. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlexStacy-CSD

Sorry to say that I'm seeing the same thing in my district. When staff are going into the Canvas gradebook to import their PowerSchool category weights, they're seeing this sort of screen.

0 Kudos
NicoletteStaley
Instructure
Instructure

@MirandaTucker and @AlexStacy-CSD I am sorry to hear you are both having issues syncing your Assignment Groups in Canvas with your PowerSchool categories.  I suspect the issue is one of two: the grade books and categories haven't yet been set up in PowerSchool or they have been setup in PowerSchool for less than 24 hours.  PowerSchool requires that the assignment groups/categories be set up for at least 24 hours in order to be "verified" before they can sync to Canvas. 

More information about this can be found at How do I import assignment groups from PowerSchool into Canvas? 

If your assignments groups/categories have been created in PowerSchool for more that 24 hours and you are still not seeing them populate to Canvas when you attempt to import them, please contact Canvas Support for further assistance with pinpointing the issue.

Been there, done all that...we still can't sync. This is the same solution that's been suggested by about 15 ppl from Canvas support. We're going in circles...

0 Kudos
SystemAdministr
Community Member

Canvas redesigned the matching process this summer; see this article in the Community . It is an improvement because it allows you to choose a cross-walk between the Canvas category/group value and the PowerSchool Categories instead of bringing across the PS ones as they stand, but Canvas didn't do much to publicize the new process.

Once we followed the steps described, we were able to get our classes syncing again.

Note too that Canvas is not sending unscored assignments back to PowerTeacher Pro; at least one student score needs to have been entered in Canvas. From other posts it sounds like this change may be impacting being able to sync "housekeeping" assignments that are often just "collected."

0 Kudos
greydon
Community Team
Community Team

Hello  @SystemAdministr @MirandaTucker @AlexStacy-CSD 

It's good to hear that  some of you are able to get the categories syncing now. As mentioned in some of the other posts, we do  need the groups synced and they need to have had 24 hours. Also important  to note is that the "start" date within the course in SIS needs  to have passed for them to appear. For those of  you that  still need help getting the groups and grades  to sync, you'll want  to speak with support  directly.

Because of the complexity of the issue, and the concerns for privacy, it would be best if you contacted Canvas Support directly to pinpoint the source of the issue and provide a resolution:

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Canvas-Basics-Guide/How-do-I-contact-Canvas-Support/ta-p/389767 

0 Kudos