Notify other teachers of submission comment

Jump to solution
shelby_hanna
Community Member

Is there a way to let other teachers in a course know that you've made a submission comment for a student in Speedgrader? Would be great o be able to @ a certain teacher as a way of keeping supervisors in the loop. 

0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @shelby_hanna ...

Not that I know of.  There is a general "Notes" column that you can enabled in the Gradebook for each student, but you can't @ mention someone like you can on social media.  How do I use the Notes column in the Gradebook?

One way you could possibly do this as a work-around is by using the Discussions re-design.  In the re-design, you can mention other people.  However, if you turn it on in your course, it's for all discussion topics...so students would have access to it as well.  So, you'd want to first try out the re-design to make sure it would meet your needs before enabling it for an entire course.  You may have to speak with your school's Online Learning / eLearning / Distance Education team first to get it enabled.  The idea here would be that you could have an unpublished discussion topic in your course that is meant only for you and other instructors.  Then, you could essentially have a private discussion topic and post a message mentioning other instructors when you've posted a grade comment.  It would be another step in your grading process...to be sure.

How do I mention a user in a discussion reply in Discussions Redesign as an instructor?

As another option, you could submit this as an idea here in the Community for people to evaluate.  First, go to this page and look at the section on "Ideas and Themes".

Instructure Community Guide - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com)

Then, on this page, click on the blue "View and Submit Ideas" button: Canvas Ideas and Themes - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com).  On the page that follows, click on the blue "Submit an Idea" button.  Here is where you can begin to create your idea...and it may even find an existing idea that someone else has already created.  If that is the case, then you don't need to submit again...to avoid duplication of submitted ideas.

I hope this will be of some help to you.

View solution in original post

0 Likes