Options for Secure Quiz Testing

Jump to solution
ChanceMcKibben
Community Member

Need some guidance on taking quizzes within Canvas. We have recently had an issue with middle school students cheating on quizzes. We are using the Canvas app on iPads for students. We don't currently subscribe to anything such as lockdown browser.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
chriscas
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @ChanceMcKibben,

If you want to try to lock students into Canvas while taking a quiz, Respondus Lockdown Browser is  generally the software most schools/institutions would use to do that.  Depending on the environment you have, you may find varying degrees of success.  I personally thing a product like that would be most useful in a classroom environment using university computers with a teacher monitoring everything going on in addition to the software tool.

If students are taking the exam from home, there are numerous ways lockdown browser could be thwarted (think having a phone or second computer).  It's also somewhat intrusive to require students install things on a personal computer, though I know many schools and universities do that.  This is where remote proctoring services usually come in, but I will say that I'm not really a big fan of those for various reasons: privacy, bias, technical issues, scheduling, etc.

I hope the little bits of info here help you start down the path of evaluating options and making the best decision for your school and students.  There are many unique scenarios and I hesitate to lean too much in any one direction when giving advice in the community here.

-Chris

View solution in original post