Publishing my course which begins tomorrow

Jump to solution
nita
Community Member

My course at Massasoit Community College, Beginning French 1,MLFR101-W20,  begins on Tuesday, May 31.

Can I publish it today, and If so, can I change the available dates for assignments to today, May 30?

0 Likes
2 Solutions
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @nita ...

I am not sure if your school has any policies, procedures, and/or guidelines in place as to when you should be publishing your courses and changing available dates for your assignments.  You are going to want to check with people at Massasoit Community College about this...as they would be able to give you specifics.  I found this page on your school's website that may help: Information Technology Services - Massasoit Community College

Generally speaking, though... you should be able to publish your course(s) when you are ready to make the content available to your students.

How do I publish a course?

If you are wanting to change the availability dates for your assignments, you can do that all on one screen following the steps in this Guide:

How do I bulk update due dates and availability da... - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com)

I hope this info will be of help to you.  Again, you might want to check with folks at your school if there are any established guidelines for publishing your course or configuring availability and due dates for your assignments.  Good luck!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
SusanNiemeyer
Community Contributor

Hi @nita,

I'm also a community college instructor, and my college encourages us to publish our courses a few days before the semester begins. That's because a lot of students will be anxiously logging into Canvas and looking for their courses on their Dashboards.

That being said, many of us just publish the home page and the syllabus before the semester begins. Everything else can be unpublished. (The availability dates don't really matter if the items are unpublished.)

Once the course officially begins, then you can publish your first content module.

View solution in original post