Putting pictures in Canvas

Jump to solution
DianneHarris
Community Member

I have problems with pictures not being in place when I copy and put them in Canvas.  If I have it where I wrap around the text, I cannot redo it and put it in place.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Good morning, @DianneHarris ...

Thank you for coming back to this topic to provide some more details.

While I understand that using Word to design your content might work for you, Word is notorious for adding a bunch of rogue/junk HTML code to your Canvas course pages when you copy/paste it into Canvas.  And, sometimes when I've done this myself, it creates more headaches than I care to have.  Then I have to spend time looking at the code to clean it up or use a website that cleans up the HTML for me.  (Even then, when using a HTML clean-up site, it's still a good idea to ensure your pages look the way you want.)   So, this is not a practice I would typically recommend for folks that are building content.

If you are copy/pasting both text and images from Word into Canvas, the formatting might not display the way you had intended, and the images might not display as you had hoped.  This is why I always find that first uploading the images I'll be using to the "Files" area of my course is a good idea.  How do I upload a file to a course?  Then, as I am building my content pages, I can just select those images I've already uploaded to "Files" to use on my pages.  How do I embed images from Canvas into the Rich Content Editor as an instructor?

Instead, what I might recommend is using a sandbox course in your Canvas account.  This would be a separate blank course that you'd have access to (talk to your school's Canvas administrator if you don't have something like this already), and then you could build your content in that course to copy into your "live" course when you are ready.  There are a couple different ways you can copy the content from your sandbox course to your "live" course:

Finally, here is a short video I found on YouTube that shows how to align images that you want to add to content pages in your course:

I hope all this information will be helpful to you!  Sing out if you have more questions...thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Likes