cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
glen_hartman
Community Participant

Quiz Comments notification

Jump to solution

Hello,  How do setup the Quiz Comments so that students are automatically sent an email when instructor posts a comment to a Quiz ?  

1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @glen_hartman ...

I believe that this is all handled through an individual's "Notifications" screen in Canvas.  I can't think of any settings on your end that once you comment on a student's quiz, that feedback is automatically sent out via e-mail.  Each user (students, instructors, admin, etc.) have complete control over how they want to be notified about certain things in Canvas...including assignment submissions and feedback.

User can choose not only how they want to be notified, but they can also choose when they want to be notified...which may include not at all.  So, I think the line to look at on the "Notifications" page is "Submission Comment".  Users can choose if they want to be notified via e-mail (or any other contact method such as personal e-mail, push notification via the app, etc.).  It's entirely possible that a student may not want to receive e-mail notifications but only receive those notifications via push notification on their mobile app.  Yet at the same time, another student might want e-mail notifications because he/she does not have a smart phone.  It's completely up to the end user on how he/she wants to be notified.

I hope this helps a bit, Glen.  Sing out if you have any other questions about this.  Be well, and stay safe!

View solution in original post

13 Replies
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @glen_hartman ...

I believe that this is all handled through an individual's "Notifications" screen in Canvas.  I can't think of any settings on your end that once you comment on a student's quiz, that feedback is automatically sent out via e-mail.  Each user (students, instructors, admin, etc.) have complete control over how they want to be notified about certain things in Canvas...including assignment submissions and feedback.

User can choose not only how they want to be notified, but they can also choose when they want to be notified...which may include not at all.  So, I think the line to look at on the "Notifications" page is "Submission Comment".  Users can choose if they want to be notified via e-mail (or any other contact method such as personal e-mail, push notification via the app, etc.).  It's entirely possible that a student may not want to receive e-mail notifications but only receive those notifications via push notification on their mobile app.  Yet at the same time, another student might want e-mail notifications because he/she does not have a smart phone.  It's completely up to the end user on how he/she wants to be notified.

I hope this helps a bit, Glen.  Sing out if you have any other questions about this.  Be well, and stay safe!

Hi Chris,

Yes, I checked my Notifications menu and found no reference to the Quiz Comments notification.     I'm checking with our Canvas admin department to see if they can provide any insight into this.

I have had students reply to the Quiz comments so I know that they are reading them.  I've also have had some students who weren't aware of the comments.  So, I make it a point at the begining of the semester and periodically throughout the semester via separate emails to remind students to check their quiz comments. So,  I'm not sure how students see the comments.   Do they see the overall comments when they review the quiz after grading or do they get an email notification that the instructor added a quiz comment.  

Also, the Instructor can add "Embedded quiz comments" for each individual quiz question within the body of the quiz.  Its my understanding that students don't know that  there are embedded individual quiz question comments.  So, I make sure to note in the overall quiz comment box to check embedded quiz comments as well.  Otherwise students might not know they exists.  

Again, Canvas is poorly lacking in documentation on this subject as I can find very little information on this subject.   Its makes for a very inefficient process and time consuming on my part. 

Thanks for your reply

-Glen

Hi Chris,

Sorry for delay. 

I checked the Course Notifications Settings and I didn't see any information that if I comment on a students quiz question that they would automatically be notified say via email had they enabled email notifications .

Next semester I will poll my students to see  if/how they are made aware that I commented on their quiz questions.

thanks for your feedback,

Glen

PS - I'm familiar with the Notification app in Canvas , but didn't know students can manage this as well for thier accounts.  Good to know as I will let students know about this feature moving forward.

glen_hartman
Community Participant

HI Chris, 

btw, do you know if Canvas inc has a 'feature request' depository or contact?  

I have another issue,  more of a feature request, that I would like to share with the Canvas folks responsible for improving Canvas.

Please see attached for reference.

I also posted this in the Canvas commons , but its more of a feature request rather than a problem that has a solution as its a software feature/glitch  issue.

thanks,

Glen

0 Kudos

Hi @glen_hartman ...

Yes, you can submit Feature Ideas here in the Community.  If you click on the "Roadmap" button at the top of any page here in the Community, you'll see a menu of options.  Under the "Idea Conversations" heading is a link for "Canvas".  You can start your Feature Idea there.  Here are a few Guides to get you started:

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos

@glen_hartman -

That view looks like it is classic quizzes.  If that is the case, no work will be done to fix the issue.  Classic quizzes is being retired at some point and time.  But any feature requests for it will not be considered (my guess).  However, a potential bug may be fixed or looked at.

It might be something that you send off as a bug report.

0 Kudos
glen_hartman
Community Participant

Hello,

How can I determine what version of Canvas I'm using?

Never heard of 'classic' quiz?  Is there a newer version available?

thanks,

Glen

0 Kudos

Hi @glen_hartman ...

Canvas itself does not have a "version".  However, there are two different quizzing engines that Canvas has: Classic Quizzes and New Quizzes.  Most likely, your school is still using Classic Quizzes.  But, there are some schools that have enabled New Quizzes for their teachers/faculty.  It's really up to the individual schools to decide...but as @Ron_Bowman suggested, New Quizzes will be turned on at some point for all Canvas customers.  These are just some of the resources available for New Quizzes.

Now...about your question on how to tell if you are using Classic Quizzes or New Quizzes.  I like to point people to two tutorial videos that walk you through each of the interfaces:

You'd want to have a conversation with your Canvas administrator(s) at your school to see what their plan is moving forward with New Quizzes.  They may be waiting to give access to everyone until Instructure (the folks that make Canvas) turn it on for everyone.  Or, they may have it turned on for you already.  So, check with your Online Learning / eLearning team about that.

Hope this helps!!

0 Kudos

Hi @glen_hartman - Chris shared that you were having issues with creating an idea. I was able to make a small adjustment to your profile. You should now be able to create a new conversation in Ideas.

glen_hartman
Community Participant

HI Kristen,

I just checked my I  idea webpage and still am not able to submit an idea...

regards,

Glen

0 Kudos
glen_hartman
Community Participant

Hi Kristen,

I  am still not able to Post to Community Ideas??

thanks,

Glen

0 Kudos
glen_hartman
Community Participant

Hi Chris,

I took a look at the 'Roadmap' tab and ' Idea Conversation' webpage; however, I don't see the tab that allows me to submit and idea?  Please see attached snippet of what I'm seeing...

thanks,

Glen

0 Kudos

Hi @glen_hartman ...

It may have to do with your rank here in the Community...whether or not you are yet able to submit Feature Ideas.

I'll check on this for you, though.  Stay tuned...

0 Kudos