Canvas includes a set of default notification preferences you can receive for your courses. However, you can change the default settings by setting your own notification preferences. These preferences only apply to you; they are not used to control how course updates are sent to other users. To learn more about each notification, default settings, and notification triggers, view the Canvas Notifications PDF.
Notifications are sent as one of four delivery types: notify me right away, daily summary, weekly summary, or don't send. If you change a setting, the change is made immediately to your account.
Notification settings apply to all of your courses; you cannot change settings for individual courses.
You may be able to reply directly to email notifications outside of Canvas. Replies are updated in the Canvas Inbox. However, please be aware that attachments added as part of an external reply are not included with the message shown in Canvas.
- Notifications are sent to Canvas contact methods as specified in your account. You cannot receive notifications if your contact methods are unconfirmed. If you are not receiving Canvas notifications, please confirm your Canvas contact methods.
- The Canvas Student app supports setting notification preferences. However, setting preferences inside the app will override preferences in the browser version of Canvas, and daily and weekly preferences are not supported.
In Global Navigation, click the Account link , then click the Notifications link .
Set Notification Preferences
Each notification is set to a default preference. To change a notification for a contact method, locate the notification and click the icon for your preferred delivery type.
To receive a notification right away, click the Checkmark icon . These notifications may be delayed by up to one hour in case an instructor makes additional changes, which prevents you from being spammed by multiple notifications in a short amount of time.
To receive a daily notification, click the Clock icon .
To receive a weekly notification, click the Calendar icon . The date and time of your weekly notifications are posted at the bottom of the notifications page.
If you do not want to receive a notification, click the Remove icon .
- Each set notification preference will automatically apply to all of your courses. They cannot be set individually.
- Twitter and SMS notification preferences do not support daily summary or weekly summary options.
- Unregistered contact methods will appear in notification preferences but will not receive notifications until you confirm the registration.
Set Push Notifications
If you have enabled push notifications in the Canvas Student app, you can manage your preferences in the Push Notification column. Please be aware that push notifications can only be sent to your mobile device right away or not at all. Daily and weekly notification options are not supported.
Additionally, setting preferences inside the app will override preferences set in the notifications page.
Set Text Notifications
You can set up your mobile phone as a contact method to receive notifications as text (SMS) messages.
On Android devices, text messages appear from email@example.com. On iOS devices, text messages appear from area code ending in 10 (such as 210 or 410).
Notification headings identify the course and the type of message notification. All notifications contain at least one text message. You cannot reply to text message notifications.