cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amber_hainline
Community Participant

Quiz Log shows "Stopped Viewing" inaccurately

Our teachers rely heavily on the quiz log to catch student cheating during exams. However, I'm noticing that the quiz log will note a student "stopped viewing the quiz" when they have not left the quiz screen. I even tested this myself masquerading as  student in a dummy course. Has anyone had similar issues?#quiz log

6 Replies
abunag
Community Champion

From documentation:

The log also shows if the student stopped viewing the Canvas quiz-taking page [4]. Not viewing the quiz-taking page can occur from being inactive within Canvas for more than 30 seconds (including navigating to another Canvas page), or clicking out of the quiz (such as on another browser tab or window) for more than 15 seconds.

Source: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-2988 

Did your testing show something different?  If so, I'd file a bug report so either the doc can be updated or the performance fixed.

amber_hainline
Community Participant

Thank you, Anthony. I had read the quiz log info, which is why I posted the question. When I masqueraded I never left the quiz screen. I sat without answering a question for a solid minute on question 3 and then finished the exam. The exam log showed I had quit viewing the quiz near the end of the exam (question 23). I would hate for kids to get dinged on exams when they aren't doing anything wrong. Smiley Sad  Thanks for you help!

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @amber_hainline ‌...

I wanted to check in with you because there hasn't been any new activity in this discussion topic since your last reply on February 23rd.  It looks like the response from  @abunag ‌ helped to answer your question, so if you want, please go ahead and mark his reply as "Correct".  But, if you're still seeking assistance with your original question, please post a message below so that members of the Canvas Community can continue to help you troubleshoot.  For now, I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't prevent you or others from posting additional comments or questions below.  I hope this is okay with you.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon, Amber!

bcrook
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

I would be interested to know if there's any further problems.  We are going to turn it on for our first time for new student placement exams.  And if it appears that it's not reporting correctly, I don't want to set up our new students for issues before they even arrive to campus.

mstavros
Community Participant

I notice too which appears like erroneous notices of navigating away from the quiz page. I'd really like to know if the 'Stopped viewing the Canvas quiz-taking page' can be trusted or if there are ways of triggering it without actually navigating away. 

cdollar
Community Participant

I had also planned to use "Stopped viewing the Canvas quiz-taking page…" as a way report cheating. Is anyone using this successfully in this way? What is the work around for students who just don't click on anything for longer than 30 seconds?