Quiz submissions and Turnitin

Jump to solution
fwoodford
Community Member

I'd like to time the students' on their essay writing (Quiz feature) as well as check for for plagiarism (Turnitin), but both options are not available on CANVAS. Why can't I use Turnitin for a file upload under the "Quiz" feature?

Labels (1)
2 Solutions
dhulsey
Community Champion

@Chris_Hofer is correct that quizzes does not integrate with TII, but you can use a file upload feature of Quizzes and then submit the files through TII's web portal. I hope that helps, @fwoodford !

View solution in original post

dhulsey
Community Champion

This is copied and pasted from https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Canvas-Admin-Blog/Canvas-and-Turnitin/ba-p/280545 :

The first option is to use a file upload question in the quiz. This allows students to upload a file in response to the question, and the instructor can bulk download the files from the quiz as documented in How do I create a File Upload quiz question?.  Once the students' files are downloaded in a zip file, the instructor could upload the zip file to Quick Submit on Turnitin's website. This is one good reason for instructors to set up accounts through Turnitin's interface and enable the quick submit in their Turnitin account settings.

The second option is to use essay questions in the quiz. After the students complete the quiz, the instructor can generate an item analysis. Download the item analysis and open it. Next, locate the column with the essay responses you wish to scan, and it helps here if you can search for a key word to locate the column. I always include the word "essay" in my essay questions, which lets me locate the columns I need quickly. Next, copy the column and submit it to Turnitin via cut and paste with Submitting via quick submit 

Here is a video that demonstrates using quick submit:

View solution in original post