Quizzes: See real-time progress and answers, give feedback in real time, see summary of whole class

Jump to solution
thisisme
Community Member

I am a teacher, and love using FormativeIn Formative, I set a task that a student might do over a whole week, at their own pace. I've attached a screenshot.

It has these four features, and I am wondering if they exist within Canvas:

1. I can see a summary of the entire class, including which questions they have answered (and whether I've marked it).
  2. I can see a student's response before they submit the quiz or finish typing it. This is useful because it is too late to track progress and give feedback at the end of the week when they submit - I want to give feedback immediately.
  3. I can easily click on any question, for any student, to quickly view the student response, give points, and provide feedback.
  4. If I edit a question (or add/remove questions), students see the change immediately. They do not need to refresh.

I'm aware that I can include Formative as an LTI, but I am currently looking at native Canvas functionality.

Thanks for reading, and for any help you can provide 🙂

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
chriscas
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @thisisme,

I came across this unanswered question while doing a community cleanup.

I can say with pretty good certainty that Canvas cannot currently do #4.

For #3, SpeedGrader for quizzes is something like that, but you generally have to choose a student or question as the base item to start grading and then you can navigate through the opposite item as you go...

For #2, the  How do I view student results in a quiz? - Instructure Community  guide should show you how to do that for the classic quizzes engine (I'm unsure about new quizzes)

Finally for #1, the Item and Student analysis reports available under Quiz Statistics may suit your needs, although I think you might need to combine the two reports to get the exact view you're looking for.

I hope this belated answer might still help!

-Chris

View solution in original post