Quizzes end time

Jump to solution
ABailettiSaez
Community Novice

Hello all, 

I am fairly new to Canvas and online teaching. I teach Biology, online lectures and in-person lab. I would like to test my students using Canvas Quiz, but while they are in person in lab. I think I have almost all figured out except the time limit issue. 

In a regular paper exam, the student would have 60 mins to finish the test. They all would start for example at 9 am and end at 10 am. If a student is 10 minutes late, the student only gets 50 mins. 

For Canvas Quizzes, you have a few time options:

Time limit

Available from

Available Until

Due 

What combination of settings should I use to have the same setting as my paper-exams?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Alessandro

0 Likes
2 Solutions
chriscas
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @ABailettiSaez,

To replicate your in-person experience, I believe you should set the "available from" as 9am, then set the "available until" and "due" time as 10am.  Quizzes should then auto-submit at 10am (or the next time a student logs in after 10am, but they would not get to work on the quiz after 10am).

Hope this info helps!  There is a ton of other info we could get into with exam windows, timers, moderation, but I just wanted to give you the quickest answer to your question that I could.  If you have any additional questions, please feel free to ask us!

-Chris

View solution in original post

Ron_Bowman
Community Champion

@ABailettiSaez 

In addition to what @chriscas mentioned, even if you put a time limit of 1 hour on the quiz with the start time at 9am and the end/until time to 10am, the quiz would still self submit at 10am even if they started at 9:30 and worked on it 1/2 hour.

Here is the Instructors guide list for New Quizzes  and here is the one for classical quizzes.  More than likely you are using New Quizzes.

Ron

View solution in original post

0 Likes