Removing students from a course

Jump to solution
DestineeTaylor1
Community Member

Is it possible to remove multiple students from a course at once? I do not need to retain their history and would like to remove all students so I can reuse my existing course for a new term. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Solutions
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@DestineeTaylor1 ...

I would actually not recommend re-using the same course shell for another round of your course with new students.  Rather, what many schools do is to create a brand new course shell, add the new students to that new shell, and then import (copy) the content from the past course into the new course.  This way, you can keep all students in your past course without needing to remove them.  If a student in that past course ever challenged you on a grade or needed to access something from in the course, you'd have to re-enroll the student temporarily so that he/she could access the course.

I'm not sure if you are using a paid Canvas environment or if you are using the FFT (Free For Teacher) version of Canvas.  If you are using a paid Canvas environment (your Canvas URL would look similar to https://SchoolName.instructure.com where SchoolName is the name of your school), you should talk to your Canvas administrator or someone from your school's Online Learning / eLearning / Distance Education team about what the proper procedure is for getting a new course shell.  They probably have a process already in place.  If you are using the FFT version of Canvas, you should be able to create a new course shell and then import content into the new shell from the past course.

How do I copy content from another Canvas course using the Course Import tool?

I hope this will be of some help to you.  Please let Community members know if you have any other questions about this...thanks!

View solution in original post

NoahBoswell
Community Coach
Community Coach

@DestineeTaylor1 In addition to the wonderful information provided by @Chris_Hofer , I thought I'd add on.

I 100% agree with Chris, I too do not recommend using the same course over and over again. Something you can do is utilize Canvas Commons. You will be able to share the resource with either yourself only, your entire school/district, or with the public (these settings can vary based off of your school), and each time you get a new course, or make a new course if you're using free for teacher, you can just import that course into your new course, which would essentially make a copy of what you had saved to commons. Of course, if your school pays for their own canvas instance, creating course shells or templates for future use may vary, as Chris mentioned earlier. 

I hope this helps, too!

Best,
Noah

View solution in original post