sheep
Community Member

Is there a way to get notifications from classmates who reply to your comments? Specifically comments and not the discussion board in general.

As a student, teachers require replying to other classmates, but I've never gotten a notification that specifically tells me a classmate replied to MY comment. This alone makes networking really, really difficult

0 Likes
1 Solution
James
Community Champion

@sheep 

Canvas is nearing a milestone in their discussion redesign. The ability to @ mention people has been behind a feature flag for a while, but it's supposed to be forced on users starting July 20, 2024. Some schools haven't turned on the redesign yet, but they will have no choice after that date.

Reading the details about the redesign makes it sound like you can get a notification for all replies or a notification if someone mentions you. It makes no reference to getting replies to your messages if someone doesn't mention you. I guess we'll all need to get more personable and mention people for it to work the way you want.

As a teacher, I want my students to engage with everyone in the discussion, not just those who reply to someone. For my purposes, receiving a notification when anyone responds is good, I don't need the mention capability. Also as an instructor, I have discussions in smaller classes set to right away so that I can be actively engaged in the discussion. For my larger classes, I get them once a day.

I realize that some other teachers grade based on you replying to someone who replied to you. For those classes the mention capability would work, but they would have to specifically mention you. You should still probably go into the discussions and check because someone may not actually mention you.

View solution in original post