Restrict Access Dates for Teacher Profile

Jump to solution
JarredLambert
Community Member

We are having to restrict access to quizzes between dates for teachers. The scenario is that a teacher should only have access to a quiz when the students start the quiz and their access to grading the students and the test should end after 6 days. I have tried this with section dates, but obviously, these dates only restrict students. Any assistance on this would be greatly appreciated.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Solutions
greydon
Instructure
Instructure

Hello @JarredLambert 

Thank you for contacting the Canvas Community. We're sorry to hear you've been experiencing issues with restricting  teacher access to quizzes after a particular date or length of  time. There are options, but the short answer is that it's not really built for this. To give teachers permission to create, edit, and grade quizzes but then restrict them after 6 days would require manual intervention. You'd need to restrict them by using grading periods that restrict access or user role permissions to disable this. You may want to consider creating a custom role as well instead of the default teacher role depending on how many courses or schools this would affect. Restricting them via permissions would likely be easier than grading periods and can be turned on or off easily. You may be able to speak with your school's CSM to  customize and create something to meet these needs but by default, there isn't a timer setting for permissions and access in this particular case. 

View solution in original post

Hi @greydon,

Thank you so much for your feedback. I have made some changes to the teacher role so that they may only grade in the sub-accounts where the quizzes are located, but obviously, this doesn't solve the duration access issue. I have reached out to my CSM and he confirms that there isn't any way to accomplish this without utilising an external system to manage course access for the teacher via an API. I will continue to investigate the option of setting this up via an API. Thanks again for your assistance.

View solution in original post

0 Likes