SIS ID Naming convention for Terms

Jump to solution
GideonWilliams
Community Coach
Community Coach

Would anyone like to share with me their naming convention for the SIS IDs they use for Terms.

I need this for the SIS Import csv.

Was thinking that the Term 2024-25 would just have a SIS ID of 24-25 or do I need to make it more complex?

We have 1 yr and 2 yr terms in line with different qualifications

Many thanks in advance

Labels (1)
0 Likes
3 Solutions
melodyc_lam
Community Coach
Community Coach

@GideonWilliams --

I just did a consolidation of terms for the 23-24 school year (from over 400 terms to 1 term) and I just gave it the SIS ID 2023_2024. I would just keep it simple and aligned with a naming convention.

When you make your term SIS IDs ensure that they don't conflict with any other SIS ID already, especially if you use a student information system to sync users/courses.

Hopefully this helps!

View solution in original post

reynlds
Community Coach
Community Coach

Our term ID's are received from our SIS (Banner). There is a specific format used...here is Fall, 2024, as an example:

Term ID:  120248

1 = campus ID (there are more than one, and even though we have distinct location identities we are not federated in Canvas)
2024 = calendar year
8 = Fall (other codes include:  0 for Winter, 1 for Spring, 5 for Summer)

The "part of terms" are not represented so we don't have to allow for it, but if we did it would be to add a letter at the end (such as "A" for first part, etc.)

0 Likes
stimme
Community Coach
Community Coach

@GideonWilliams Our SIS has spring, summer, and fall terms each year. Our term SIS IDs start with 'SP', 'SU', and 'FA'. They end with two numbers for the year. Example: SU24.

0 Likes