SMS - Confirm Communication Channel Not Working

Jump to solution
jmbacon
Community Member

I've tried to reach out to Canvas support directly, but we are just talking in circles because each new support representative doesn't bother reading what has already been addressed. They are sending me basic how-to emails when I've got a clear issue.

The problem is with trying to add a mobile number as a contact method. I'm able to add it, but not confirm it because I never receive the code to confirm.

I hope this issue can be cleaned up/resolved.

An additional concern is that one of the support reps said that SMS alerts are being discontinued. Is this true? If so, does it affect 3rd party integrations with Canvas that rely on sending SMS notifications to students (Dropout Detective for example)? If it's discontinued, why is there still a field to add mobile numbers?

Thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Good morning, @jmbacon ...

Many of the SMS notification options have been disabled on your "Notifications" screen of Canvas for quite some time now.  I've been able to find some of the documentation supporting this decision by Instructure.  In all of these links, look for the areas with "SMS" or similar wording (though these links should take you directly to the spot on the page that you're asking about):

I hope this information will be of some help to you.  Sing out if you have any other questions...thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Likes