SafeAssign Integration

Jump to solution
JeremiahDuerson
Community Member

We are in the process of purchasing SafeAssign for plagiarism detection and are interested in learning from other schools that have integrated it into Canvas.

If your school has done this, could you share how you implemented the integration? Would you be willing to provide an hour of your time to demonstrate it?

Additionally, we would like to understand the user experience for both instructors and students.

We are aware that SafeAssign is not natively integrated with Canvas, but we have heard that other schools have successfully used it in this way.

Please contact Jeremiah Duerson at Jeremiah.Duerson@eku.edu or Josh Reynolds at Josh.Reynolds@eku.edu.

Thank you,

Jeremiah

0 Likes
2 Solutions
Jeff_F
Community Champion

Hello @JeremiahDuerson  - would you mind posting the requirements from the RFP? I would assume that one line would state that the software must integrate with Canvas as an LTI. I'd also assume that SafeAssign should be required to provide all necessary guidance and instructions on how to successfully configure the LTI installation. And to provide all the necessary support as well. If it does not, then I would be quite reluctant to sign any contract.

View solution in original post

0 Likes

Hi @JeremiahDuerson,

I know this won't be the info you were specifically looking for, but I wholeheartedly agree with @Jeff_F on this that the vendor really should be responsible for the integration.   While there are some vendors that specialize in connecting systems together themselves this way, it seems a bit risky to me as a Canvas admin to go that direction.  I'd wake up every morning worried about the integration breaking, who would be responsible for fixing it, etc...

We just finished an RFP for plagiarism detection at my campus (requiring the system to integrate with Canvas via the plagiarism framework), and I can definitely say that there are not many vendor choices at this point, as a certain large player in this space has been buying most of their competitors for a few years. I can at least say that more than one vendor replied to our RFP, so there is some choice out there, though perhaps not as much as I'd like to see.

Maybe it would be worth having conversations with SafeAssign about building an LTI 1.3 integration or a Canvas Plagiarism Framework integration on their own.  If they did that, they may end up with a larger potential customer base.

Sorry for intruding on your thread here, but I hope some of the info/discussion helps you move forward!

-Chris

View solution in original post

0 Likes