Scanning Tool in Canvas app file type change?

Jump to solution
swicher1
Community Novice

Would it be possible to alter the file type the canvas app generates when it scans? Currently, it takes scans and uploads the files as a Jpeg and not a PDF. The jpegs are attached as individual files and are very very difficult to grade. Many of the editing tools offered by the canvas platform won't work on the jpegs that the app generates. Could you offer PDF scanning as an option or an easier way to scroll through the uploaded jpegs? 

0 Likes
1 Solution
ProfessorBeyrer
Community Coach
Community Coach

That's a great suggestion, @swicher1. I did some testing and see how a student using the Canvas Student app to submit a file to an assignment via the camera generates an image file even if the item is all text. 

A solution would be for the DocViewer to automatically apply optical character recognition to all image and .pdf files that it handles. I don't know how feasible that is but I do know how to begin that conversation: Use the ideas and themes process:

How do Ideas and Themes work in the Instructure Community? 

Creating an idea does not provide an immediate solution to the problem you described, though it is a solution. I’m going to mark it as such and hope that our colleagues who have a similar challenge will find the best way to contribute. If you decide to create an idea, please link it here so mode community members can support it.

View solution in original post

0 Likes