"see quiz responses" vs "grade posting policy"

Jump to solution
alvarso_uw
Community Member

When creating a Quiz that checks

• Let Students See Their Quiz Responses (Incorrect Questions Will Be Marked in Student Feedback)
    • Only Once After Each Attempt
    • Let Students See The Correct Answers

Canvas needs to also automatically check the "Grade Posting Policy", because the result is completely NOT intuitively currently.

The default (at least at UW) is for the grade posting policy to be "manual". When I create a quiz using the "see the answers", the result is that students get a grey box saying "Quiz response is muted", and they do NOT see the responses.

The "solution" was to go to the Grade Sheet and change the "Grade Posting Policy" to automatic.

This is completely not intuitive, and most defintely an oversight on Canvas.

When "Let Students See Their Quiz Responses" box, Canvas should automatically (with a warning message) change the policy to automatic, otherwise students can NOT see their responses. At the very least it should clearly let you do that and explain the behavior all within the test.

Please fix this part.

0 Likes
1 Solution
ProfessorBeyrer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Thank you for the detailed explanation. You want the quiz response view options to change the grade posting settings for those quizzes that allow students to see their responses after each attempt. It looks like the Canvas gradebook is not written with the responsiveness to individual assignment settings that you would like. 

Change posting policy for single assignment.Change posting policy for single assignment.It is possible to change the grade posting policy for specific items. So you could change the grade posting policy for quizzes to automatic and leave the other assignments as manual. Or you could do it the other way -- change the default policy to automatic and switch it to manual for the non-quiz assignments. That's what I do. My quizzes and discussions are all automatically posted but my writing assignments are manual.

To make the Canvas gradebook to reflect the quiz response view following your interest, the best option is to submit an idea via the ideas and themes process:

How do Ideas and Themes work in the Instructure Community? 

If you decide go this route, I hope you expand the idea to include a "grade posting policy switch" for all items that have grades. That way your excellent suggestion could be usable by instructors who have similar interests with other assignment types.

Creating an idea does not provide an immediate solution to the problem you described, though it is a solution. I’m going to mark it as such and hope that our colleagues who have a similar challenge will find the best way to contribute. If you decide to create an idea, please link it here so mode community members can support it.

View solution in original post

0 Likes