Speedgrader comment library not savable

EliseJohnson2
Community Member

Hello,

I'm a long time BlackBoard/Turn It In user.  I am using Canvas for the first time at another university. Generally, they are very similar and intuitive.

However, when it comes to grading papers, there is one GLARING difference between Blackboard and Canvas. It has to do with annotated comment banks. 

Here's the difference:
When grading assignments/papers in Blackboard's Turn-It-In Feedback Studio there are "Quickmarks". These are customizable and savable phrases that can be dropped precisely into a location within the student's document.
In Bb, each assignment has a customized comment bank I've written and that I can place right into the specific location where I seek to provide feedback. In other words, the feedback I need for SW 500, Assignment #2 are very, very different than the feedback needed for SW 520, Assignment #3. I have a dozen customized and saved comment libraries that are tailored for each class and each assignment within that class.

Conversely, at my other uni I discovered, to my chagrin, that Canvas does not have this feature.  Not even close.  What they CLAIM to have is what they call "Speedgrader Comment Library": It's comment bank that cannot be saved for specific assignments.    This means that for each and every assignment, the faculty must re-write brand new comment banks. 

From a grading perspective, it's a massive timewaster.  A nightmare for someone like me who aims to provide students with detailed feedback for each assignment.

Why cant' Canvas do what Blackboard has done for over 10 years?
Labels (1)
0 Likes