cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ashleyberger
Community Member

Spotify (and similar apps) affecting Canvas Quiz log?

Jump to solution

I have a student whose Canvas Quiz log indicated that they "stopped viewing the Canvas quiz-taking page" during almost every problem on the exam. I met with the student to ask them about their experience and to see what could have caused this and they eventually said that they did have the Spotify desktop app playing music in the background. I have read a few forums that clarify that I would see this message if a student navigates to a different app or browser tab, but my question is a little different: Is it possible for a background app that is continually running (like a music app) to affect a quiz log, even if the student didn't navigate away from the Canvas quiz?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @ashleyberger 

The Canvas quiz log will record a navigation away from the quiz, having Spotify running in the background will not trigger this unless the student navigates to the Spotify app for some reason, like changing his playlist.

Have you considered using a lockdown browser, like Respondus?

Kelley

View solution in original post

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @ashleyberger 

The Canvas quiz log will record a navigation away from the quiz, having Spotify running in the background will not trigger this unless the student navigates to the Spotify app for some reason, like changing his playlist.

Have you considered using a lockdown browser, like Respondus?

Kelley

View solution in original post

Tags (2)
0 Kudos

Hi @kmeeusen

Thanks! That is what I suspected, but I wanted to check here first to see if anyone knew otherwise. 

I have considered a lockdown browser several times, but I already have an intricate proctoring set up and I don't want to add any more drama to it. 😕 If I could have a guarantee that a lockdown browser wouldn't cause any additional burden to me and my instructors, I would do it, but I have yet to get that guarantee. There's always going to be a student who claims that the lockdown browser played some part in why they couldn't take or finish their exam. Sorry for the negativity, but I'm just tired of this entire online process. Math exams are 1000% easier on paper in a room.

Thank you for your help!!!

Ashley