Student accepted invite but says he never got the account verification email.

Jump to solution
DDFletch
Community Explorer

I have a student who was invited to a program.  He clicked the enroll button and now says he never got the account verification email.  Now He's in limbo, trapped between having full access to his courses, but not able to verify his account so he can't get in.

As the admin, I can't see him in the system yet cause his account isn't verified.  When I try to add him manually it says there is a person with that email already who's account is waiting to be verified.  

Is there a way for a student to get the account verification email resent?

0 Likes
1 Solution
James
Community Champion

@DDFletch 

We don't use email verification at our institution as we supply school emails to our students. Keep that in mind when I offer suggestions, they may not be relevant. I'm just throwing out some potential ideas, maybe one of them will be productive.

From the People page in the course, there should be a "pending" next to people who have been sent the invite but haven't responded. If you click on the three vertical dots at the end of a row, there is a "Resend Invitation" option. I do not know if that will help because they got the invitation and it's the verification that's missing.

There were some other messages in the Community about students not getting the verification emailstudents are not receiving course invitations or even email verification emails, and one that was Canvas Free for Teachers specific - email verification not received [ no one had ideas on this last one]

One thing not mentioned in those threads is the bounced email list. If you go to Admin > Admin Tools > Bounced Emails, then you can see emails that had problems getting delivered. I'm seeing a lot from students who put in their high school email addresses, but their no longer in high school so that doesn't work anymore.

You say you cannot find the person because they're not in the system. They have to be in the system somewhere, but it may very well be that it's someplace you don't have access to. If you can find them on the people page, then maybe you can masquerade as them and check their Account settings to see if their email address has issues.

View solution in original post

0 Likes