Student view

Jump to solution
lparker4
Community Member

When I am in student view and click on an unpublished assignment, the menu at the left (containing "home") is still there even though Canvas shows the assignment as not available.  However, when I click on an unpublished module (using a button and link on the Home page), that menu on the left disappears -- the only way to get back to the Home page is the "back" key of the browser, or at the far left, the dashboard icon.  Why wouldn't the menu with "Home" still be visible?

0 Likes
1 Solution
greydon
Instructure
Instructure

Hello  @lparker4 

Thank you for contacting the Canvas Community. We're sorry to hear you've been experiencing issues with student view and the navigation. What you are describing is abnormal behavior. If you are in student view, any unpublished modules should not be visible at all. Only published modules should be showing when in student view as it is a replica of what actual students would see. If you are in student view and seeing unpublished content, it  may be an issue with your browser or device. We recommend clearing the cache:

In Chrome
On your computer, open Chrome.
At the top right, click the three dots
Click settings
On the left, choose Privacy and Security
Then, clear browsing data
At the top, choose a time range. To delete everything, select All time. I suggest at least 4 weeks
Next to "Cookies and other site data" and "Cached images and files," check the boxes.
Click Clear data.

If you  still are able to view/access unpublished items in student view (whether the home tab is visible or not) you may want to contact Canvas Support and have them  look at the course specifically.

Because of the complexity of the issue, and the concerns for privacy, it would be best if you contacted Canvas Support directly to pinpoint the source of the issue and provide a resolution:

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Canvas-Basics-Guide/How-do-I-contact-Canvas-Support/ta-p/389767 

View solution in original post