Take home exam

Jump to solution
njf191
Community Member

I want to create a take home exam in Canvas, using 'graded quiz' so that MCQ will be marked automatically. I have set unlimited attempts and no time limit.

I would like the students to be able to work on the exam in Canvas, then save it and continue or edit their responses at a later date. Right now, Canvas does not save their responses, so even though they have unlimited attempts, they have to enter all the answers each time.

Any suggestions how to make this work?

0 Likes
1 Solution
ColtonSwapp
Instructure
Instructure

Hello @njf191 

I have actually seen some instructors setup a take home quiz for students to take over the weekend. With quizzes in Canvas, If you are not setting a time limit, students should be able to resume where they left off if they need to come back to it at a later time and date.

Quizzes have an autosave feature built in and they can come and go as they please until they are ready to submit. HERE is a guide on how they can resume a quiz. The quiz will resume where they left off. When they are finished, they can submit the quiz. They will want to make sure they don't have the quiz open on two browser windows to ensure that their answers are saved correctly. This is usually where they will run into issues with their answers not being saved. 

One thing you will want to make sure of is that you do not select the option for Show One Question At A Time because questions will be locked even if the student clicks the next button without answering. 

If the quiz has unlimited attempts, they can always try and retake the quiz to get a better score. 

Hopefully this helps! 

-Colton 

View solution in original post