Total file storage for user

Jump to solution
dunnbri11
Community Member

Hi everyone,

I need to find the absolute upper limit on user storage.

I tried modifying the default user quota limit, and the system gave a confirmation that it had been updated up to around 4000000000000 MB (or 4000 petabytes). This seems a bit high and inaccurate, but is user storage effectively unlimited if you increase the quota?

Or is there an overall account/subaccount storage limit that you'd run into at some point?

We need to store many large images that will be used across several courses and need to know at what point we'd have to worry about running out of space. 

Thanks for any insight!

1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@dunnbri11 ...

I'd highly suggest that you reach out to your assigned Customer Success Manager team at Instructure to talk about your contractual storage limitations.  There might be other options for you to consider away from using Canvas as a file storage system.  For example, have you considered using something like Dropbox, Google Drive, or Office 365 for file storage and access?  You could check with your school's IT department to see what they recommend, too.  But again, I'd encourage you to reach out to your CSM team to have some conversations about this.

Good luck!

View solution in original post