Treat ungraded as zero?

Jump to solution
veltmaal
Community Novice

Hi, I have a question about the Canvas gradebook.  The gradebook used to have a button called "treat ungraded as zero," which would show a student's true percentage score, in the event that the student did not submit a quiz or an assignment.  Without selecting "treat ungraded as zero," the gradebook shows an overall percentage score of only completed work.  In any case, Canvas seems to no longer have "treat ungraded as zero," and I'm wondering if it is buried in Canvas somewhere, or if there is another button that performs the same function.  Thanks for any clarification you can provide!

0 Likes
1 Solution
gulick_24
Community Participant

Unfortunately, this 12-19-20 re-release of the feature (for which I’m glad, don’t get me wrong…) doesn’t solve the actual issue --> that students need to be able to see their final grade in the course if they do nothing else in the course. Many students think they can skip the final exam because their current final grade is an A, but without doing the exam, it falls to a C. Then they're surprised they got a C... "but I had an A!" etc. Can't tell you how many times I've had that conversation with students. (As an academic advisor, I'm the one the students come to to complain about this for quite a number of courses.)  So STUDENTS need access to a “treat ungraded as zero” sort of option, not just instructors.

View solution in original post