Turnitin and Quizzes

Jump to solution
magreen
Community Novice

Has anyone found a useful way to use Turnitin within the context of a quiz containing an essay question?  This came up during an impromptu Canvas consult the other day and I am searching for someway to streamline this process considerably.  I realize that Turnitin cannot access any material turned in within a quiz, and that the most obvious way to check for plagiarism in this instance is to log in to Turnitin's site and copy/paste manually. I can see this working for a smaller class (20-30 students), but for larger classes with 100+ students and no TA, no instructor is going to want to check for plagiarism this way.

Any thoughts and suggestions on some creative workarounds?

Thanks,

Mike

1 Solution

Guru. Ha-ha!

@magreen ​, for using Turnitin on a quiz, the easiest way would be to use a file upload question. This allows students to upload a file in response to the question, and the instructor can bulk download the files from the quiz as documented in How do I create a File Upload quiz question?​.  Once the students' files are downloaded in a zip file, the instructor could upload the zip file to the Turnitin - Checking Quick Submit​​ feature on Turnitin's website.

Depending on your quiz security needs, something like Respondus LockDown Browser and Respondus Monitor might provide an alternate path.

Happy quizzing!

View solution in original post