UI Customizations

Jump to solution
Carter41
Community Participant

I am a fairly new Canvas admin and was wondering if the attached changes were possible. Basically we are looking to delete, rename, and reorder some navigation items within a course for the student view. If these changes are possible, would it be out-of-the box, or require some code work. 

Thanks in advance! 

0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@Carter41 ...

I do not know if there is any way to re-order the far left-hand global navigation menu and/or get rid of any of those icons.  There may be a way to do this using custom CSS or JavaScript, but I'm not real familiar with the syntax in able to do that.  But, I'm not sure why you would want to prevent students from using some of those things...especially "History" and "Studio".  "History" gives students quick access to recent browsing history when navigating around Canvas.  How do I view my recent page view history in Canva... - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com)  "Studio" is something your school has paid extra for...and it's available for both instructors and students to add audio/video media (either created on their own or from YouTube/Vimeo) to their Studio library.  Then, if the instructor has configured assignments for the course to use Studio, students can submit Studio media to the instructor.

As far as re-naming course navigation items is concerned, this also may be possible with custom CSS or JS.

I would throw up a flag of caution doing this, though.  If you are going to change these kinds of things via the global CSS or JS files, it's going to change it for the entire account.  So, there may be people at your school who do not want these things changed.  Also, when you start making changes like this, then it may be harder for your instructors and students to use the official Canvas documentation Guides here in the Community.  For example, if you re-named "Assignments" to "Homework", you won't find any documentation here in the Community website with a "Homework" button.  All "Assignments" written documentation is located here for students.  This is just one example, and it may create more headaches for you and your team down the road than you want to deal with, so I would encourage you and your staff to have some discussions about this before doing anything.

Hope this will help a bit!  Let Community members know if you have any other questions...thanks.

View solution in original post

0 Likes