UNPUBLISH A COMPLETED COURSE

Jump to solution
cobblo
Community Novice

I WANT TO UNPUBLISH A CLASS THAT HAS BEEN COMPLETED. 

4 Solutions
kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi  @cobblo  , and  Welcome to the Canvas Community!

Can I ask why?

There is really no need to unpublish a course once it has concluded. If you are looking to secure it from continued student access, there are better ways.  If you could tell us exactly what you are trying to do, we can provides some good guidance, but in the meantime...........

Kelley

View solution in original post

Hello,

I want to close the course so that students cannot see anything -- assignments, gradebook, announcements, etc.

Cordially,

Lona D. Cobb, PhD

Journalism Professor

MCM Faculty Internship Coordinator

Communication and Media Studies Department

Winston-Salem State University

Office: 121 Hall-Patterson

Phone: 336-750-8639

Twitter: ldcobb2009

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may contain privileged, confidential, administrative information. It is solely for use by the individual for whom it is intended, even if addressed incorrectly. If you are not the intended recipient of this transmission or a person responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution, or other use of any of the information in this transmission is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify me immediately by reply e-mail or by telephone at the number listed above.

jsavage2
Community Contributor

I am wondering if an answer to the OP's original question was ever found (even though it turned out there was probably an alternative way to meet her needs).

I am currently looking for a way to unpublish concluded courses, as well, via the API. Since we're using the API, un-concluding and unpublishing the course would be an option, too, but, frustratingly, "un-conclude" doesn't seem to be an option available via the API, only the GUI.

The situation is this: we have courses that open and close at "off" times throughout the year, outside of the normal term start and end dates. Some of them have rolling admissions, others are seminars that span multiple terms, etc. When these courses end, we want to conclude them and put them into read-only mode. Then, a certain number of days later, we want to remove access entirely.

For "normal" courses, we accomplish this by setting the term end date several weeks later than the actual course end date, and setting "restrict students from accessing after" at the sub-account level.

For these long and short courses, though, we're overriding the term dates. Unpublishing them would seem like the best way to completely remove student access at the end of the "read-only" period. The other alternative would be to create a special term for every course, but that's not sustainable; there are dozens of them every year.

Hi  @jsavage2  

Yes, a course can be unpublished! You can learn more at https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13030-415257126 However, once your course includes graded submissions, it can no longer be unpublished.

The methods I originally described are still your best bet; however, depending on the numbers of such courses, I would suspect that doing this through a CSV upload would be the most efficient way of accomplishing this for many courses. One useful trick might be creating a separate term or even sub-account for these courses to make finding and managing them more efficient.

Kelley